UFC Has a New Queen: Holm Knocks Out Rousey

Look at her.  Isn't Holly Holm beautiful?  She's also an incredible fighter and last night she took the Bantam Weight championship away from Ronda Rousey.

When I was a kid in school we used to love it when the girls would fight each other but that was just kid stuff.  When Ronda and Holly entered the cage no one really expected this to happen.

Ronda Rousey is at the top of her game but she was overmatched by a stunning sequence from Holly Holm.  I don't there is any shame in admitting that the better figher won last night.  It's now Holly's turn to bask in the glow.

If you did not see the knockout in the second round of the fight, you can watch it happen on this site.  There are some other videos there.

Everyone is really fascinated with Ronda Rousey.  She is a looker but I think Holly is prettier.  But you don't judge fighters by the looks.  You judge them by their moves, their wins, and their losses.

I think Holm dominated the match.  She let Rousey come to her but commanded the arena like a professional gladiator.  Rousey did not seem to know what to do with Holm.  It was like, "This is how I fight and I'm not going to change."

I watched an interview with Holm's coach where he said they anticipated Rousey's aggressive style and planned to take advantage of that.  I would say their strategy worked.  It caught Rousey completely by surprise.

Now I'm not saying Rousey is finished.  Not by a long shot.  She can think this through and train for a rematch.  Or maybe it's just time for her to move on.  She has been at the top of her sport but she is branching out into film work and she'll have plenty of other opportunities.

Anyway it was a great win for Holm.  I don't think anyone will be questioning what happened at all.  They'll be asking how it happened but the results are clean and will stand.