Some Good Options Trading Platform Reviews

To me, there’s nothing worse than trying to read a review of something on the Internet. I do it all the time, but it can be a huge headache. I chalk it up to the mountain of poor reviews I find when I search for stuff. So much stuff is poorly-written or just straight-up advertising.

This is especially true of financial products. Nine times out of ten, when I’m looking up a trading platform or a trading product, I find advertisements not-so-cleverly disguised as reviews. 

I’ve decided to start making lists of good reviews for various products I use. I want to honor the work these writers have done and share good reviews so people don’t have to spend hours digging through the garbage like I did.

Let’s start with some good reviews of options trading platforms. These five links are well-written, concise (for the most part), and educational, and you can read them all for free thanks to the magic of the Internet.

E*Trade Review
What I Love: This review comes from a reputable source (Stockbrokers.com) that I know isn’t necessarily trying to sell me something. Obviously, all reviews home an agenda of some kind, but I think you get my point. I love how this review is organized – it makes sense to my brain. Also, the inclusion of lots of pictures makes reading it easy, even for an idiot like me!

What I Hate: The “tab” construction of the main body of the review. I’m seeing this more and more, so it must be a thing that people like. It’s just not to my taste.

TradeStation Review
What I Love: This article packs a lot of useful information in a small amount of space. I feel like I know a lot more about TradeStation after reading it. Those are both huge factors for me in deciding to trust a review’s advice or not.

What I Hate: Even though I praised this review’s brevity, it could stand a little beefing-up. It’s also not the prettiest thing I’ve ever laid eyes on, though the simple dark color scheme makes it easy to read. It’s a trade-off, really.

OptionsHouse Review
What I Love: I love reviews written in a casual, conversational style. All the reviews at cashcowcouple.com are like that – they’re written for everyday people to absorb and apply. I like the use of graphics – it’s not over-done, it’s tasteful, and the graphics used support the text really well.

What I Hate: Again, though the review’s brevity is a good thing on some levels, I don’t really feel like I learned everything about the platform that I should have. Reading the user comments underneath the article was useful in stitching together the stuff I didn’t learn from the review, but that shouldn’t be the case.

Scottrade Review
What I Love: There’s a lot for me to love about this review. For starters, I love the source. NerdWallet puts together detailed articles that are easy to read, and they are a trustworthy source. I also love the content – it’s not too brainy, but it isn’t dumbed-down at all, either.

What I Hate: For some reason, the review devolves into a series of lists that weren’t all that useful to me. I thought, for its length, that this review didn’t tell a complete story in the way that, for instance, the first two on this list did. I also don’t like the design of the site, but that’s a minor thing.

TradeKing Review
What I Love: I’m a big fan of the source of this review – it’s a blog called 20-Something Finance, and what it lacks in beauty it makes up for in content. This is another review that I feel really educated me about the platform, and I feel smarter for having read it.

What I Hate: It’s just an ugly little blog. Bad design isn’t a huge problem, but it doesn’t give me much confidence in the blogger’s expertise.

Do other good reviews of these platforms exist? Yes, of course. I even have some of them bookmarked. My point here wasn’t to show you all the best reviews of trading platforms, it was to highlight what makes a review good, in my opinion, and get you started on your own path.